The skeletal frame of a burned-out life
Life – once warm, soft inviting flesh – the curve of an arm around a fragile waist
The taste of chocolate on her lips, her hands in his hair…
Gone now. He sits alone, remembering –
his hands reach out – thin age-spotted skin stretched taut across the bones – toward the pills.
So this came out of nowhere. Trying to loosen my brain up to get back into something a bit more creative after a couple of week’s concentration on a big copywriting project. The opening line is borrowed from Bruce Springsteen’s Thunder Road – ‘the skeleton frames of burned out Chevrolets’ and kind of used as a spring board. Choosing an evocative line from a song and playing around with it is something I’ve used as a starting point in the past.
Written for Stream of Consciousness Saturday hosted by Linda G. Hill. This week’s prompt was bone. If you’d like to take part the rules, borrowed from Linda’s site, are as follows:
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing, (typos can be fixed) and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. There will be a prompt every week. I will post the prompt here on my blog on Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” “Begin with the word ‘The’,” or simply a single word to get your started.
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top. NOTE: Pingbacks only work from WordPress sites. If you’re self-hosted or are participating from another host, such as Blogger, please leave a link to your post in the comments below.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read everyone’s! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later, or go to the previous week, by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find right below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. As a suggestion, tag your post “SoCS” and/or “#SoCS” for more exposure and more views.
8. Have fun!